Sunday, November 23, 2008

"Do you mind?"

Once again, folks, I'm back with a linguistic "what the hell" in this observation.

Last time it was the fact that 99% of people think that "me too" is the end-all to any conversation (and, if you haven't been reading, I disputed that and asserted that the TRUE end-all to any conversation was "fuck off").

The time before that, it was the fact that a majority of people seem to find pleasure in doing or saying something, and then immediately afterwards, asking you and/or others in the vicinity to tell them exactly how or why they did or said what they just did or said (and, again, if you haven't been reading, I gave reasons why I not only couldn't explain to them why or how, but didn't want to).

This time, however, it's a little different, and it's something that - while it still makes me wonder how these people managed to get into college - I can understand happening.

I'm talking about "Do you mind" as a question. Just for the sake of my argument, I'm going to explain the question. In asking me if I mind that you do something or if I mind doing something for you, or whatever the case may be, you're asking if I would have any qualms about it or any reason not to do whatever it is you're asking me to do. Now, if I did not have any qualms or reasons not to do it, I would answer "No, I don't mind" and would carry out whatever task it was. However, if I DID have qualms or reasons not to do it, I would answer "Yes, actually, I do mind" and would NOT carry out whatever task it was. With me so far? Good.

The thing that bothers me is that people seem to be stuck in a mental rut when it comes to being asked if they mind. I can only fathom at the reason, but the best I can come up with is that they're so used to being asked if they would do something in a much more straightforward manner (i.e. "will you do this for me?"), and as such they know that if they want to do whatever it is, they respond with a "yes." This leads me to believe that they're so used to saying "yes" when asked to do something, that even when the question is switched up a bit and they should answer "no" (which would mean "yes"), they answer "yes" out of habit (which means "no").

I mean, I expected this sort of thing when I was younger. I knew a kid named Chris when I was about three, whose mother took care of me while my folks were at work, and whenever I'd ask him if he minded if I did something, he would always reply "yes" and I would have to clarify if he meant "yes I mind" or "yes you can do (whatever I'd asked)." And he would just keep saying "yes" because he was an idiot.

But that was when I was three. There's no excuse for that shit now.

Stay classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment