Friday, November 21, 2008

Shocking Lack of Diversity


This is an issue that, in all seriousness, I feel very strongly about. Diversity in America seems to be one of those things that the average fool thinks is a done deal. Diversity is NOT a done deal. I remember getting pamphlets and whatnot from Yale University with four people on the front of it, all four smiling. There was a white guy, a black chick, an Asian guy and a Hispanic chick. The thing that I got out of this picture of diversity was not "wow, Yale is a pretty ethnically diverse university," it was more along the lines of "wow, how long did it take to find these people at Yale?" I mean, the white guy and the Asian guy would be a cinch to find (let's not kid ourselves here, and if anyone wants to dispute this, bring it on. I lived down the street from Yale University from birth until I left for college. I know what I'm talking about).

What I'm trying to say is, diversity is still a major problem in America. People look around and see all types of ethnicities being included in movies, music, literature, etc. But what are they doing in these portrayals? I mean, the most accurate depiction of a black guy in movies as a "black guy in movies" was in "Not Another Teen Movie," with "the Token Black Guy."

But this isn't about Yale University's show of diversity, which is ironically coupled with a lack thereof. Nor is it about how minorities are portrayed in popular culture. Nor is it about "Not Another Teen Movie," nor about "Token Black Guy"s.

The shocking lack of diversity to which I'm referring is this:
Why is it, on EVERY SINGLE PENIS ENLARGEMENT/MALE ENHANCEMENT COMMERCIAL, THERE IS NOT A SINGLE BLACK GUY?

Stay classy

No comments:

Post a Comment